From: X11-users <x11-users-bounces+james.gunning=csiro...@lists.apple.com> on
behalf of René J.V. Bertin via X11-users <x11-users@lists.apple.com>
Sent: Sunday, 5 January 2020 7:39 PM
To: x11-users@lists.apple.com <x11-users@lists.apple.com>
Cc: Jeremy Huddleston <jerem...@macports.org>
Subject: Re: Xquartz (non-) usability. Drawing speed. Startup etc

On Sunday January 05 2020 01:44:19 Gunning, James wrote:

>> https://www.macg.co/macos/2019/07/xorg-bientot-abandonne-et-avec-lui-x11-sur-mac-106945
>X.Org, the free implementation of the X11 windowing system will soon enter
>"maintenance mode". Driven by Red Hat, the Gnome desktop environment ditched
>X.Org in favor of Wayland, which is set to become the primary display server
>for GNU / Linux distributions. "Once we're done," says director of Red Hat
>Enterprise Linux (RHEL) Desktop, "we plan to put X.Org into maintenance mode
>soon enough."

That's a very Linux-centric situation, as Wayland has rather strong links to
Linux-specifics at the moment. I haven't looked at FreeBSD for a while to see
if they have a good, efficient adaptation (and how that's linked to newer
versions of their kernel). But even then, FreeBSD isn't the only other Unix
implementation out there, and X.Org is not a project that cannot be forked even
if the current official repo goes into feature freeze.

Anyway, let's hope that this is a wake-up call so that some people start
working on porting the Wayland libraries so that Qt's Wayland can be built and
possibly even KDE's KWin with its Wayland compositor implementation (how the
KDE people would like that! ;) ).

As to running the latest "official" XQuartz: I stopped doing that even on 10.9
because it has a tendency to crash on startup and randomly later on, on my
bi-head system where I routinely 1) use FUS to go the login screen which allows
me to 2) disconnect the external screen without causing a desktop rearrangement
then 3) suspend the machine and finally 4) potentially connect a different
external after waking it in a different location.
I'm now running my own take on MacPorts' port:xorg-server-devel, v1.20.1
(https://github.com/RJVB/macstrop/tree/master/x11/xorg-server-devel) and that
works well enough; combined with a patched Mesa
(https://github.com/RJVB/macstrop/tree/master/x11/mesa) that has some support
for software EGL I can even run remote applications that do fancier things (or
KF5 applications that simply crash when forced to use GLX).

Jeremy: dunno if you're still on this list or otherwise felt us treading on
your tail ... happy newyear! :)

R.

This email sent to james.gunn...@csiro.au