It became clear some time ago (10 years?) that Apple had abandonded the
scientific and technical markets. They (first) shifted their focus to what I
would call the teeny-bopper market — you know — people who go around waving
their arrms in the air as they danced crazily with earbuds in their ears,
composing beautifully formatted html emails with lots of photos in them to all
their social media friends, and to whom having just the right playlist is oh,
so, essential. (hopefully I’m not insulting anyone here!) And (later) as
someone here mentioned, to making MacOS look like iOS. For evidence, look no
further than the discontiunation of iWeb and Aperture, the spinning off of X
Windows support, the disapperance of science and technology from their website,
the burying of the interface for mounting NFS exports, and so on. (Even some of
their iOS apps have shifted in downward directions as part ot fhis shift.)

I had a Mac on my desk at work for something like 31 years (until my recent
retirement), starting with the Mac SE ~1987. I was never so happy as when OS X
came out and I could drop down to one computer on my desk, since OS X played
nice in the Linux world (though for me it was Solaris at that time). X Win
support was essential to my computing environment, especially for doing real
work on remote computers. Neither Mac OS nor Windows options for remote
computing have ever been as good as X Win, in my experience and opinion. Even
something as simple focus-follows-mouse makes a big difference to me.

Were I still working, my fallback position would be a Linux box on my desk with
Windows running in a VM. Because, outside my technical work, almost everything
I did on a computer could be done with MS Office, and for Office, it hardly
matters which OS one uses.

I think it’s fair to say that without the efforts of the open source community,
a Mac would not have stayed on my desk for all those years.

Don MacQueen
m...@comcast.net