Here’s a couple of pet peeves that have been driving me nuts since whenever.

1. When editing a file I click on the Assistant editor button (e.g. the
overlapping circles), and I expect to to see the corresponding .h or
.m/.c/.cpp. However it often shows some other totally non-related file,
possibly the previous file that was shown there. Dismissing the Assistant
editor by clicking the ‘X’ button and clicking Assistant editor again shows the
correct corresponding .h/.m/.c/.cpp.

I’m assuming this isn’t a bug and is somehow deliberate behavior but I haven’t
figured out the algorithm yet. What I’m trying to figure out is why it doesn’t
ALWAYS show the correct corresponding file. Under what circumstances do I want
to show the corresponding file and when do I want it to show a completed
unrelated file? In my mind it should always be the corresponding file. The end
result is that I have to click the Assistant editor button and immediately
click X to close, then click on the Assistant editor button again to show the
corresponding file. Why am I always doing this? Can I tell Xcode to always show
the correct corresponding file, and not some random previous file from history?

2. When doing a Find in the Workspace, I type a query and get a list of
results. Sometimes when clicking on one of the results, it goes to the correct
file and starts to show the correct line for the result, but then it
immediately scrolls the that line off the screen. I can’t figure out why it
sometimes does this and sometimes doesn’t. Any ideas?

3. I’m trying to use the documentation to figure out how to use Xcode. So I go
I go the familiar Documentation and API references window and try to look
something up. I see a section on the left called Xcode. I want to look up how
to use the Assistant editor feature in #1 above, so I type Assistant but see no
Xcode results. Clicking on the magnifying class button next to the input field
I select All SDKs and Automatic, but neither shows any Xcode help.
Is there a special way to look up Xcode help?

Doug Hill
http://chartcube <http://chartcube/>.com/