Hi Quincy,

> On Jul 14, 2015, at 1:00 PM, Quincey Morris
> <quinceymor...@rivergatesoftware.com> wrote:
>
> On Jul 14, 2015, at 12:46 , Doug Hill <xcodeus...@breaqz.com
> <mailto:xcodeus...@breaqz.com>> wrote:
>>
>> While this Counterparts popup menu is useful,
>
> Um, you only have to choose Counterparts once. The setting sticks across
> closings and reopenings of the assistant editor. That’s the point of it,
> really.

Right, but if I ever navigate away from the counterpart, e.g. look up a symbol,
this breaks the counterpart setting. I then have to reset it. Since I’m
constantly looking up symbols, this means I can’t rely on this setting. I
really want a command that will ALWAYS go to the counterpoint, not sometimes.

>> my criticism is it’s actually easier to click on Show Assistant editor,
>> click the X to dismiss it and select Assistant editor again.
>
> Opening and closing it multiple times should not make it behave any
> differently. But there’s a *bug* that makes it do the wrong thing the first
> time.

It seems to function differently between these two cases:

• Click on Show Assistant Editor
• Command-click on a symbol to show a different interface (e.g. NSObject)
• Click on Show Standard Editor
• Click on Show Assistant Editor
Result: Shows NSObject.h

• Click on Show Assistant Editor
• Command-click on a symbol to show a different interface (e.g. NSObject)
• Click on X ‘Close' button in the upper-right of the Assistant Editor
• Click on Show Assistant Editor
Result: Shows correct counterpart to Standard editor

Second case is really want I want to have happen every time I show the
assistant editor.

> Rather than going to the Counterparts popup and selecting counterparts, which
> requires navigating a tiny popup menu. Also, I generally don’t have the
> assistant editor open I have to click on Show Assistant Editor anyways.
>
> You know you can type Command-Option-Return to show it, and Command-Return to
> hide it, don’t you?

Sure, this helps to some extent but it’s still a two-step process to get the
thing I want. Type Command-Option-Return to show assistant and then use the
mouse to navigate the Counterparts popup. Maybe I’m being demanding here, but
it seems like such basic functionality should be much easier to do.

(See also my other message in this thread about trying to remap the Jump to
Counterparts key equivalent.)

Thanks for the followup.

Doug Hill
http://chartcube <http://chartcube/>.com/