From: slfan1989 <slfan1...@apache.org>
Sent: Monday, March 4, 2024 10:07:05 PM
To: Hadoop Common; Hdfs-dev; yarn-dev; mapreduce-dev;
<priv...@hadoop.apache.org>
Cc: Steve Loughran; Xiaoqiao He
Subject: [EXTERNAL] [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 3.4.0 (RC3)

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click
links or open attachments unless you can confirm the sender and know the
content is safe.

Hi folks,

Xiaoqiao He and I have put together a release candidate (RC3) for Hadoop
3.4.0.

What we would like is for anyone who can to verify the tarballs, especially
anyone who can try the arm64 binaries as we want to include them too.

The RC is available at:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/hadoop/hadoop-3.4.0-RC3/

The git tag is release-3.4.0-RC3, commit bd8b77f398f

The maven artifacts are staged at
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehadoop-1408

You can find my public key at:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/hadoop/common/KEYS

Change log
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/hadoop/hadoop-3.4.0-RC3/CHANGELOG.md

Release notes
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/hadoop/hadoop-3.4.0-RC3/RELEASENOTES.md

This is off branch-3.4.0 and is the first big release since 3.3.6.

Key changes include

* S3A: Upgrade AWS SDK to V2
* HDFS DataNode Split one FsDatasetImpl lock to volume grain locks
* YARN Federation improvements
* YARN Capacity Scheduler improvements
* HDFS RBF: Code Enhancements, New Features, and Bug Fixes
* HDFS EC: Code Enhancements and Bug Fixes
* Transitive CVE fixes

Differences from Hadoop-3.4.0-RC2

* From branch-3.4 to branch-3.4.0 backport 2 Prs
    * HADOOP-18088: Replacing log4j 1.x with reload4j. (ad8b6541117b)
    * HADOOP-19084: Pruning hadoop-common transitive dependencies.
(80b4bb68159c)
* Use hadoop-release-support[1] for packaging and verification.
* Add protobuf compatibility issue description

Note, because the arm64 binaries are built separately on a different
platform and JVM, their jar files may not match those of the x86
release -and therefore the maven artifacts. I don't think this is
an issue (the ASF actually releases source tarballs, the binaries are
there for help only, though with the maven repo that's a bit blurred).

The only way to be consistent would actually untar the x86.tar.gz,
overwrite its binaries with the arm stuff, retar, sign and push out
for the vote. Even automating that would be risky.

[1] hadoop-release-support: https://github.com/apache/hadoop-release-support
Thanks to steve for providing hadoop-release-support.

Best Regards,
Shilun Fan.