On 3/10/06, Vinay Augustine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

And let's hope that it is really a decision that was
coming out of Joshua, and he was not just obeying some
directives from the Yahoo headquarters.

Mostly, I agree with you about the relative worth of delicious as a source of research. On the other hand, Joshua is under no obligation to provide this information for free.

FWIW, I didn't hear Pietro suggesting that Joshua etal. were under any *obligation* to do so - only that he very much wanted them to continue to do so.

I think it would be wonderful if he would make it available through the API, but that's entirely his (and the delicious staff's) call.

Well ... and their bosses, who happen to be Yahoo! folk.

Similarly, I kind-of like the new url page -- it presents information that mosts users would find useful,

Fair enough....

and that's who delicious should be aiming for.

Well ... why not put both out there?... Would the cost of doing so be prohibitive?...

The various pages on delicious should present the most useful interface for users of the site, not the most useful interface for you to screen-scrape.

Very simply: The user base is disparate. Therefore, what's "the most useful" is - obviously! smile - subject to debate.

Finally, I don't really think it's right to accuse Joshua of "obeying some directives from the Yahoo headquarters" just because you don't like a change he's made.

I think this comment was fully justified. Not only has this change come in the wake of the recent change in ownership of the 'site, but there is good reason to believe that Y!'s interests may diverge from del's old interests, so ... this may be what's going on, either with Joshua's full complicity - or not. Who knows....

Matthew

-V

_______________________________________________
discuss mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.del.icio.us/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/discuss



_______________________________________________
discuss mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.del.icio.us/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/discuss

Reply via email to