The URL page, as it is now offers the complete tag
clud  for a given time. And regardless of what Joshua
seems to think many of us would agree that this does
convey a lot of information that we are somehow, often
unconsciously, able to perceive. There are plenty of
work that has been done on the subject by psycologist,
sociologist, and people in the advertisment
industries. We do perceive those tags, although we are
often unable to scan them all consciously.

I would like to point out, again, something about the
info for academic and for other services down the
road.

Although delicious now gives all the info on the URL
page about the current situation (thanks), and the
historical info divided by month, it has really lost
the day to day historical information. 

That information WAS VERY important. It is also
because of that information that I was able, thanks to
tagcloud, to point out the little social quake that
you can see in the following picture:
http://blog.pietrosperoni.it/images/tagclouds-little-quake.jpg

Now I think I understood what that social quake was
due to. Mystery, mystery :).
But to actually measure if I am right, and zoom on it,
and show it, and explain it, I would really need to be
able to get the complete historical data.

Right now even the picture above could not be
reproduced any more, as such graph would only have 5
buckets on the x axis (one per month). Absolutely not
enough for any serious study. Social changes now
happen on a day to day basis in our society. And that
quake only lasted few days, maybe as less as three.

Of course Yahoo could say that important studies could
be done, provided people register a partnership with
Yahoo itself. This might be a solution, but it would
de facto kill the amatorial ecology that is using
delicious data to try different things and reporting
on their blog. The people who, in one night, try and
discover different things, following a sudden
ispiration. Well, those people are often the ones who
make the biggest discoveries.

Maybe a meeting point could be found in yahoo offering
some extra API for developers, after registering them.
Like ebay does.
It all depends on how hard or automatised, the
registration process would be. What would be Yahoo's
requirement on it.

If yahoo is not interested in offering this info (or
does not see its value, which seems more the case, at
least officially) and is not interested in taking
responsability to be the source on the web for this
information freely, we should be told. Directly, and
bluntly.

Joshua, please, can you enlighten us on that? It is
important. Other's people decision depend on that.

If Yahoo is not, I think a separate project should be
called for. A sort of meta-aggregator, owned by some
free foundation which could not be sold. A service
which could receive the xml files from the users in
delicious, furl, simpy, ..., combine them and offer
them back through an url based way for academic uses
and other services.

Any thoughts on that?
Any official answer from Yahoo?

Many thanks for reading it,
have a good week
Pietro

--- Joshua Schachter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I am merely unconvinced that people are able to get
> value out of a giant 
> blob of text.
> 
> I do see that it's a possible venue for discovery
> for following links, 
> but I think the potential value of the general view
> is diminished by the 
> enormous pile.
> 


__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around 
http://mail.yahoo.com 
_______________________________________________
discuss mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.del.icio.us/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/discuss

Reply via email to