I said that I would answer the mails I received. Most
were personal, but this was not so here are my
answers.

--- Matthew Weymar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 3/10/06, Vinay Augustine
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> 
> >
> > > And let's hope that it is really a decision that
> was
> > > coming out of Joshua, and he was not just
> obeying some
> > > directives from the Yahoo headquarters.
> > >
> >
> > Mostly, I agree with you about the relative worth
> of delicious as a source
> > of research. On the other hand, Joshua is under no
> obligation to provide
> > this information for free.
> >
> 
> FWIW, I didn't hear Pietro suggesting that Joshua
> etal. were under any
> *obligation* to do so - only that he very much
> wanted them to continue to do
> so.
> 
> I think it would be wonderful if he would make it
> available through the API,
> > but that's entirely his (and the delicious
> staff's) call.
> >
> 
> Well ... and their bosses, who happen to be Yahoo!
> folk.
> 

No, Joshua is under absolutely no legal obligation to
give any of this info out. On the other hand the tool
was built with the help of many minds, and yahoo is
already paying big prices from a PR point of view for
trampling on their userbase. The way in which we
mostly reacted at the news that delicious have been
sold must not have been well received in the Y!
headquarters. In fact you can actually read in their
blog and read how much they did not like that. Public
opinion matters.


> Similarly, I kind-of like the new url page ...
> Fair enough....
> 
> >... and that's who delicious should be aiming for.

> Well ... why not put both out there?... Would the
> cost of doing so be
> prohibitive?...

That's what I keep on saying. We need an API so that
people can use the data.

Two API: 
a lighter URL-CLOUD: which would give you the whole
list of tags in the tag clouds with their relative
multiplicity
and a heavier URL-HISTORY: which would give you the
history of each bookmarking act for a single URL (more
heavy in terms of bandwidth than the first).

No one likes to do useless job, and the people asking
for info will all be very happy to use the lightest
API. They pay for bandwidth too. 

> 
> The various pages on delicious should present the
> most useful interface for
> > users of the site, not the most useful interface
> for you to screen-scrape.
> >

That's why we need an API. None of the services that I
offer screen scrapes, and I only run a script that
does it a couple of times myself (august 2005).
Generally I do not screen scrape. But I DO use
cloudalicious and similar services, and I DO use them
to make research, and I DO read other people's results
in research. And all this indirectly is screen
scraping. Throwing all this as 'for you to
screen-scrape' I feel is dishonest respect to the
value that we all get from this research. After all
you use the new services that come out of this too,
don't you?

> > Finally, I don't really think it's right to accuse
> > Joshua of "obeying some
> > directives from the Yahoo headquarters" just
> > because you don't like a change
> > he's made.

Accusing... no, but suspecting... yes! It would make a
lot of sense, and Y! paid a lot of money for deli.
Somhow this money have to come back.

I have other things to add, but not as an answer to
this email, so I shall add as an answer to the
relevant mail.

Pietro

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around 
http://mail.yahoo.com 
_______________________________________________
discuss mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.del.icio.us/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/discuss

Reply via email to