On 3/10/06, Joshua Schachter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  I am merely unconvinced that people are able to get value out of a giant
> blob of text.

Well, it seems pretty clear that some people DO at some times, whether
you want to believe it or not. The real question here is how often and
how much-- one can't put EVERYTYHING that is of value to particular
people into the interface.

The "blob of text" is very useful for "taking the temperature" of a
link (or a site, etc. as the case of the tag cloud may be). I find
this quite useful on sites that I do not know-- a tag cloud,
*particularly* a large one, can give a quick sense of the context of
the publication or site (what political slant, do they cover topic X,
Y or Z, regional focus, etc).

I see the same thing as sometimes valuable for a link-- the difference
is that I can assess the content of most links themselves quicker so
the context is less valuable than for a whole site-- though not often
enough that it warrants (to me) being poked into one's eye for every
URL. Why not just have it as a linked option so people can get at it
if they want to see it?

c
_______________________________________________
discuss mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.del.icio.us/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/discuss

Reply via email to