Refleksi: Rupanya pencuri  di Arab Saudi tidak berpuasa mesucikan diri dari
perbuatan jahat, mereka tetap melakukan profesi meski pun di rumah ibadah.
Bagaimana dengan konco-konco mereka yaitu para koruptor kakap mau pun teri di
Indonesia?  Sangat menarik sekali bila para koruptor Indonesia dan
cecunguk-cecunguk mereka benar-benar puasa dari perbuatan haram yang merugikan
umat yang jujur.

http://www.arabnews.com/?page=1&section=0&article=114687&d=23&m=9&y=2008&pix=kingdom.jpg&category=Kingdom

Tuesday 23 September 2008 (23 Ramadan 1429)

      Thieves in the mosque! - Ramadan prayers offer extra cover for crooks
      Arab News

      JEDDAH/RIYADH: Taraweeh, which is a special prayer performed only during
Ramadan, is the best way to achieve closeness to God. Therefore mosques become
particularly crowded during the month of fasting with worshippers. But these
crowds also attract another type of visitor, the thief, whose favorite target
is unattended purses in the women's sections of these houses of worship.

      The crime works like this: Thieves, sometimes women and sometimes men
disguised in abaya and niqab (face veil), come in while women are preoccupied
with prayer and prostration and snatch purses from the careless and distracted.
The men's sections are not immune to this crime, either.

      "Although it is a time full of spirituality, it is a season for thieves
(too)," said Ali Al-Marshad, a worshipper in Riyadh who goes every day with his
wife and daughter to pray. "Women's mosque-prayer season in Riyadh is Ramadan;
this could explain why they are sought by thieves. If I suspected that a man
could break into a women's section of the mosque I would not allow my wife and
daughter to go. I'd rather make them pray at home."

      Recently a mosque in Riyadh was struck by two men disguised in women's
garb. They grabbed a number of purses and fled. Shortly after the women called
the police, they cordoned off the neighborhood around the mosque to no avail -
the men had vanished with their booty.

      After hearing about an incident in a mosque in Al-Salama district of
Jeddah, Maha Abdullah, a forty-something mother of four, decided it was time to
take extra precaution. "We heard about a couple of theft incidents in the men's
section," she said. "Thieves were pick-pocketing worshippers at the entrance or
exit of the mosque. I became very cautious while praying. The women's section
is unguarded and it is located in the back of the mosque. I try not to carry
any money and I leave my mobile at home."

      Most women are careful with their bags during prayer - typically placing
their purses in front of them so they can be mindful of their belongings during
prayer. But still, the occasional carelessly placed personal effect is enough
to encourage thieves to keep trying.

      Abdullah says that her mosque has a cleaning woman who also acts as a set
of eyes. "She knows everyone and if a new face entered the mosque she becomes
alerted immediately," she said.

      Scholar Ahmad Al-Husain said that it is not a religious obligation for
women to pray in mosques, but that it is not recommended to forbid them from
attending. "Although there is a number of cases where men tried to break into
women's sections in mosques, I do not think it is a phenomenon," he said.

      Laya Abdul Kareem, 50, said a boy came into her mosque during Ramadan
last year and tried to steal her purse. "This boy snuck into the women's
section of the mosque and tried to steal my bag and run away," she said.

      Fortunately, Abdul Kareem was praying on a chair because of her age. The
young boy thought she was performing prostration and attempted to snatch her
bag. "I saw him immediately and pulled my bag out of his hands," she said. "He
ran away and no one saw him after that."

      Since that incident, Abdul Kareem said the administrators of her mosque
hired a woman guard as an added precaution.

      A mosque in Jeddah's Al-Rawdah district is typical - a small community
house of worship where everyone knows each other. As with most mosques, there
is no on-site security. Women simply watch each other's belongings and are
mindful of new faces.

      Mohammed Rashid, another of the mosque's attendees, says police should be
guarding all mosques during prayer times, especially the Friday sermons and the
Taraweeh prayers.

      "It is unfortunate to have stealing incidents in mosques, especially
during prayers," he said. "But some weak-hearted people don't care that God is
watching them. There has to be security at all mosques around the country.
Putting one police car outside of a mosque would have an effect on thieves."

      - Laura Bashraheel in Jeddah & Nuha Adlan in Riyadh

Kirim email ke