On Mon, May 01, 2006 at 05:32:28PM +0200, Jan Henrik Sylvester wrote:
> Sami Sandqvist wrote:
> > > Jan Henrik Sylvester wrote:
> > > I have been trying to build r74 on Debian Sarge (which is a fresh
> > > install, since I am very new to this).
> > >
> > > I got kernel-sources for 2.6 and made a symbolic link:
> > > /lib/modules/2.6.8-2-386/build to /usr/src/kernler-source-2.6.8/
> > >
> > > Make of r74 fails horribly -- many syntax errors etc. (See below.)
> >
> > In Debian, you don't need the full kernel sources to compile an
> > external module. You should install the correct kernel-headers
> > package instead. For example, if you are using
> > kernel-image-2.6.8-2-686, you should install
> > kernel-headers-2.6.8-2-686. Remove the link you
> > mention above before installing it, the kernel-headers
> > package should have the proper link.
> >
> > Somewhere around 2.6.15 the packages were renamed to
> > linux-image-2.6.x and linux-headers-2.6.x. If you are using
> > 2.6.8, you may have to compile an older version of zd1211
> > or upgrade your kernel. IIRC, the latest versions required a
> > bleeding edge kernel.

Switching from kernel-image to linux-image can be a problem. There were
quite a few changes in that transition.

I have a vanilla kernel patched with the software suspend patch. I built
and installed it using kernel-package (make-kpkg). I couldn't make the
the generated package useful, and I usually build module package using:

  m-a -k /path/to/kernel/tree build modulename

I currently use the packages from Sid (zd1211-utils, zd1211-source and
zd1211-firmware from non-free) tht I rebuilt from their Debian source.
See http://packages.debian.org/zd1211-source . I still have r59
installed as I'm too lazy to install an upgrade.

The debian source package also has an option to get a more up-to-date
source. I just don't remember if it worked last time I tried.

HTH

-- Tzafrir