Sami Sandqvist wrote:
> > Jan Henrik Sylvester wrote:
> > I have been trying to build r74 on Debian Sarge (which is a fresh
> > install, since I am very new to this).
> >
> > I got kernel-sources for 2.6 and made a symbolic link:
> > /lib/modules/2.6.8-2-386/build to /usr/src/kernler-source-2.6.8/
> >
> > Make of r74 fails horribly -- many syntax errors etc. (See below.)
>
> In Debian, you don't need the full kernel sources to compile an
> external module. You should install the correct kernel-headers
> package instead. For example, if you are using
> kernel-image-2.6.8-2-686, you should install
> kernel-headers-2.6.8-2-686. Remove the link you
> mention above before installing it, the kernel-headers
> package should have the proper link.
>
> Somewhere around 2.6.15 the packages were renamed to
> linux-image-2.6.x and linux-headers-2.6.x. If you are using
> 2.6.8, you may have to compile an older version of zd1211
> or upgrade your kernel. IIRC, the latest versions required a
> bleeding edge kernel.

I have removed the full kernel source and installed the headers instead (though I doubt that this was necessary). The package did not create the link /lib/modules/2.6.8-2-386/build that the r74 make is missing. Thus, I recreated it myself.

Since I would like to stay with stable Sarge, I will not upgrade my kernel. Which version of zd1211 do you suggest? With kernel headers in place, is there anything I should do besides make after downloading and untaring of the version that you will suggest?

Thanks
Jan Henrik