Sorry about posting this configuration related question here, but I'm
at my wits end trying to get an IOGear USB WiFi dongle to connect a
TS-7800 ARM to a WPA2 Personal network via DHCP.

# uname -a
Linux ts7800 2.6.21-ts #1 PREEMPT Fri Oct 10 10:20:42 MST 2008
armv5tejl GNU/Linux

I was following the instructions at
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WPAHowTo, which seem pretty
vanilla.
I first did:

# iwconfig

which produced:

eth0 no wireless extensions.
lo no wireless extensions.
eth1 IEEE 802.11b/g ESSID:"" Nickname:"zd1211"
Mode:Managed Access Point: Invalid Encryption key:off
Link Quality:0/100 Signal level:-144 dBm Noise level:0 dBm

That seemed helpful, as it seems to know about the dongle and it's
calling it eth1. I then did:

# wpa_passphrase my_ssid my_passwd

which generated:

network={
ssid="my_ssid"
#psk="my_passwd"
psk=...long number...
}

So I added to the bottom of /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

network={
ssid="my_ssid"
#psk="my_passwd"
psk=...long number...
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
proto=WPA }

But if I do:

wpa_supplicant -ieth1 -Dwext -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -w

I get a bunch of lines that look like:

Trying to associate with {MAC address here} (SSID='my_ssid' freq=0 MHz)
Associated with {MAC address here}
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Invalid argument
WPA: Failed to set PTK to the driver.
CTRL-EVENT-DISCONNECTED - Disconnect event - remove keys

It looks like ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Invalid argument may be the
culprit, but when I tried Googling that in various incarnations, I got
nowhere.

Can anyone help?

Many TIA,
Craig