This is a first posting.  I live in a little town in northern
New Mexico and have been in Zen practice since the mid 1980s
but also have studied and practiced Theravada Buddhism and
Vajrayana (mostly in Asia).  My introduction to Zen was at
New York Zendo in Manhattan and at the upstate Dai Bosatsu
monastery.  The roshi was Eido Shimano.

In the early 90s I spent some time at Sogen-Ji monastery in
Okayama, Japan, and practiced under Shodo Harada Roshi.
My main practice center now is Mountain Cloud Zendo
( http://www.mountaincloud.org/ ) in Santa Fe, which is
about an hour south of where I live.  It was started in the
80s by Philip Kapleau and has since become associated with
the Diamond Sangha of Honolulu.

After about five years in Zen I became interested in the
larger field of Buddhism - historical background, other forms
of practice, approaches to the Dharma, etc. - and these still
occupy me, though Zen for me remains the heart of it all.

Looking forward to some spirited conversations ...

~ Frank

.

Your favorite religious organization? Make a donation at Network for Good.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/EOl1HB/LPaOAA/i1hLAA/S27xlB/TM