How about.?

1.      "Get a Life!" - anonymous
2.      "Poor, poor, pitiful me." - Warren Zevon
3.      "If you're scared dude, stay home!" - Pizza Dude

Kathy's original straight-line was:

Does anyone have three or so short, but poignant quotes regarding
compassion?  Something from a great teacher or the sutras or like that.  I
read alot of Zen and Buddhist books, but can't remember quotes (I can't tell
a joke, either; it could be five words long and I'd still screw up the punch

I appreciate any help you can give - I do a couple Websites/online forums
and am always trying to slip Zen thought (non-thought) in under the radar;
without being tooooooo preachy.