Good Day Bill,

It is true that not much of the Chinese Chan had a chance to be introduced to
the West, because Communist China destroy most of the resources since 1945.
Taiwan was poor until about 20 years ago.  Spiritual concerns grow mostly in
the 80's in Taiwan.

I signed up to around 5 discussion groups to learn about the Zen development in
the US.  As you described, mostly are  schools from Korean and Japanese sect.

In our school of Chinese Chan, we teach the act of "Consummation", or
"resolution", or "be one with others". Actually often after diligent practice,
we'll "know" that we are "connected" anyway.  Maybe this is the reason, I have
not find too much reference to the term "compassion", just like your friend.

Donald

Bill Smart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Kathy,
  I talked to a friend of mine about this and he gave me a little different
perspective.  He reminded me that zen in the West has been very heavily
influenced by Japanese and Korean zen, both of which are expressions of very
macho cultures.  The West also is pretty macho so it was an easy transition.
He indicated that Chinese zen was a little less macho, but nothing much exists
at least nothing much has been translated about zen teachings with a more
compassionate perspective.  At least he didn’t know of any.
  I hope someone does know of some sources, or perhaps has access to some
non-English texts that talk more about the compassionate side of zen.  I’d be
very interested to hear about them.

  …Bill! (again)

  Bill previously wrote:
                  Kathy,  Okay – now I’m seriously going to try to address your
question.
  It’s an interesting question.  I thought a lot about it and really can’t come
up with the type of philosophical or warm-‘n-fuzzy quote you’re probably
looking for.  I know zen just doesn’t put a lot of value on philosophy, and
maybe not even warm-‘n-fuzzy.
  Almost any koan (zen teaching parable) than involves a mondo (question and
response session) between teacher and student would demonstrate the compassion
a zen teacher has for others.
  The most famous koan like that is Joshu’s koan ‘Mu’ (The Gateless Gate, Case
1) in which Joshu answers one of his student’s off-topic questions with a
nonsensical, seemingly inappropriate reply to encourage his student to look to
himself for answers.
  Another is ‘Gutei’s One Finger’ (The Gateless Gate, Case 3) in which Gutei
permanently deprives his student of using an easy, non-original answer -
forcing him to come up with one of his own.
  These, from my perspective, show true zen-inspired compassion.
   …Bill!

  Kathy wrote:
  Does anyone have three or so short, but poignant quotes regarding compassion?
 Something from a great teacher or the sutras or like that.  I read alot of Zen
and Buddhist books, but can't remember quotes (I can't tell a joke, either; it
could be five words long and I'd still screw up the punch line).
  I appreciate any help you can give - I do a couple Websites/online forums and
am always trying to slip Zen thought (non-thought) in under the radar; without
being tooooooo preachy.