--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Smart" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Chris,  If you've only practiced for 3 years and already don't know
exactly
> what you're doing, you're making very good progress.

Haha. Thanks.

It takes many people 5
> or 10 years before they finally reach the critical point where they
give up
> trying to know.  Some never reach that point and live their entire
lives
> cursed with knowing everything there is to know about zen.

Well. I can't say that I've given up trying to know. Not at all. I am
beginning to see though that thinking doesn't result in knowing. At
least not on the level that I desire.

> As for the question on posture: Breathing freely is what's
important.
>  Posture is only important in as much as it does not impede
breathing and is
> comfortable.  Just find a posture that feels right and allows your
breaths
> to flow in and out effortlessly.  As always I recommend you find a
teacher.
> In lieu of that, ZEN MIND, BEGINNERS MIND is as good a book as any
and
> better than most.  Use it as a starting point and experiment from
there to
> find a posture that most benefits you.

That sounds like good advice. Completely contradictorty to some
teachers, but it makes sense. Charlottle Joko Becks books have helped
me alot as well. You're right though. I definitely need a teacher.

thanks,

Chris

> Good luck - and congratulations again for not knowing.
>
> .Bill!
>

> Chris wrote:
>
> Hello. I may have been a member here before, but I can't remember.
> just started practicing Zazen again. I practiced everyday for about
3
> years and then off and on for the last two. I'm still not sure
exactly
> what I'm doing. I realize that posture is very important and I had
> question about that. In Zen Mind, Beginners Mind it says that you
> should push the head up and the abdomen down as if one were
supporting
> the sky, but when I do this it feels all wrong. I guess what my
> question is in Zazen is it right to hold onself in a certain
posture?

reading! Talk about it today!
Yahoo! Groups Links