Mike,

Saying 'everything we do or don't do is political' is true only for
those who see everything from a political perspective.  It's the same
as saying 'everything we do or don't do is zen' - and that's said a lot
on this forum.  That's true too, from a certain perspective.

There's an important essay that touches on this written by Arthur
Koestler in the 1940's and entitled THE YOGI AND THE COMMISSAR.  It
examines what he believes are the two approachs to engender change in
the world (save all sentient beings).  He examines 'change from
without' (politcal - embodied by the commissar - change the system and
you allow people the space to change themselves) and 'change from
within' (spiritual - embodied by the yogi - change yourself and you
will inspire others to change eventually changing the system).

I choose the approach of 'change from within' and the method of zen.
Others choose 'change from without' and the method of polictics.

So...I'll take the high road 'n you take the low road...n' I'll get
t'Scotland 'afor yee!

...Bill!

--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, mike brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I think your opinion is very well put, but in response to Bill's
assertion that what has the political situation in Tibet got to with
Zen I would say that everything we do as members of a society has
political ramifications. Even if we do nothing, claiming to be
apolitical, we still end up unwittingly supporting the status quo.
Further, what about the vows repeated daily in Zen temples everywhere
to save countless beings? Could it be argued that by doing nothing to
help people practice freedom of religion (in this case towards
Enlightenment) against state control we might pave the way for state
control of religion (or individual practice of that religion) in
countries where Zen itself is practiced? Again, everything we do (or
not do), is political.