From: craig omanion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, 10 February, 2008 9:21:24 AM
Subject: SV: RE: [Zen] Re: D.L.

The Dalai Lama came to Atlanta recently and was well recieved....

I wouldn't want to be a martyr either... could it be that he gets more done by
not becoming a martyr?

If he can just get westerners to show more compassion/respect for human life
that would be good. Tibet is under the clutches of China. The entire country
could martyr themselves and it wouldn't change the current political situation.

Personally I don't look for heros and leaders. I do my sitting - that's what I
do. Leaders don't mean anything to me.

I believe there have already been enough people to lay down their lives for
ideas. If it helped others to be free that would be one thing.... but the Dalai
Lama.... he's an international teacher of a certain type of Buddhism.

As for Zen//Buddhism. ... of course Zen grew out of Buddhism. In a way, maybe
Zen out-simplified Buddhism.

Regardless of the differences, 'Buddhism' as a word means 'aware-ism'. Zen
takes you to the same place in practicing it. So, the differences are not
personally important to me.

In general, I hold few opinions and those I seem to have I hold lightly.

Opinions/dogmas, etc.., they just weigh too much.

Craig

Bill Smart <[EMAIL PROTECTED] org> skrev:
Jue Miao Jing Ming,
Thanks for the history lesson.  I was aware of all of those things except the
part about Mongolia.  I thought it still was a part of China.  In any event
the state of being part of China or not part of China is, like all things,
transitory.  Some years high hemlines are in; some years they are not.
Anyway my point was, and the only point that should be pertinent in this forum,
what does all this have to do with zen?  Is or should the nationalistic
aspirations of a country, or their people’s fight for political freedom or
social equality, linked somehow to zen?  I think not.  In my opinion zen
practice does not concern itself with and is not influenced by such things.
I might add here that I don’t consider zen and Buddhism the same thing, nor
do I consider zen a sub-set of Buddhism, nor inextricably associated with
Buddhism in any way.  So, if your answer is going to be that social justice is
a concern of Buddhism, you’re not answering my question.  My questions is
about zen, not Buddhism.
Thanks again for your post…Bill!