Charlie, Thank you for your post.  Anything from our hearts are precious.

Yes, "retarded" kids are no different than anyone else.  At least it is
so in our school.  We are all retarded somehow to some degree.  We all
experienced periods of being controlled by impulses, physical handicaps,
environments, accidents, blank outs.  Sometimes more.  Sometimes less.
Where do we draw the line?  Or should we.  How can we tell how they
feel, if we can not communicate fully.

My Teacher for the first 15 years set up meditation classes in the
prisons and the drub rehabs.  We have a effective program to help every
sentient being to wake their inner self and improve their inner
strength.  It is a combination of Motion Chan and Sitting Chan.  I don't
know how helpful this program can be to mental retardation.  If you are
interested to try.  I can post it.