At the High School where I teach, I often have to substitute in
during my lunch hour for the Special Education class. It is not easy,
as those kids are very sad and child-like even though they are
teenagers. However, I can always use the extra money that I get paid
for subbing for other teachers so I am willing to do it.

Some of those retarded kids look so innocent that it makes me sad to
think about them. Usually I leave the kids alone and go to the
Teacher's Lounge and watch TVLand since Bonanza is only on for one
hour now.

Anyhow, there I was yesterday wondering if the kids counted as
sentient beings. I have always imagined that they did have souls, but
now that I see how simple they are I wonder if they do. I am tending
to think that they don't. Then I will not feel bad when I leave them
alone. I am not the only teacher that does that. As long as they
don't attack each other, nobody finds out and it is like getting paid
for free time. Do I have an obligation to try to teach them anything?
I don't think anyone really tries. I am not the only one that sees
them as just a way to make a few extra bucks. What is my obligation
to these kids? Do I have any?

As you can guess, I am at the computer at the Teacher's Lounge right
now, and I have the TV on too. I am not the only one here. It is like
skipping class, except we are the teachers!