From: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Edgar Owen
Sent: Wednesday, August 20, 2008 8:20 PM
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Zen] zazen

Hi Bill,

Yes, this one is the real me. What a humorous concept since of course there
is no me to begin with!

Thanks for your very open and considerate response. It's a pleasure to find
someone who is so non-judgmental and willing to actually consider every idea
on its merits rather than according to some rigid programmed mentality. To
my mind there is nothing better than having one's beliefs intelligently
challenged. After all that is how I can learn things I didn't know before
and 'poof' away another illusion.

As to emotions and thoughts I think we are both saying things that are
correct but a little different in approach and I think there is an important
point hidden in the difference. It has to do with the connection between
emotions and thoughts, and the difference between emotions and 'feelings'.
In almost all cases emotions and thoughts are continually intertwined. E.g.
one has a sad thought (loss of a friend) and then feels sad, that sad
feeling then engenders more sad thoughts, and one feels even sadder, and on
and on it goes. That kind of emotion is the kind of emotion I was referring
to as one of the veils of illusion that keep us from seeing reality
directly. After all the loss of the friend is now in the past and thus no
longer a part of reality. Thus the sadness can be released merely by letting
go of it and the thoughts that perpetuate it. Both those thoughts and the
sadness caused by thoughts rather than reality are illusions. Almost all
emotions are like this - they are the result of thoughts rather than actual
here-now occurrences. I would say 99% of emotions moment by moment have no
connection with anything actually present in the reality of the here-now. In
this view 99% of emotions can be vanished just by not indulging in them, not
perpetuating them, letting go of the thoughts that engender them and turning
the mind elsewhere. The soap opera vanishes if one just ignores it.

Now let's consider sadness at the actual loss of a friend as the friend
sickens and dies. This kind of emotion is an actual visceral reaction to an
actual here-now situation in the reality of the moment. Or is it? In one
sense yes, but it depends entirely on how we view reality. Being sad at
seeing a friend suffering and dying really depends on thoughts as well, but
thoughts that are hidden deeper in one's basic internal world view. That
sadness is a response based on first seeing the friend as a separate being
rather than as part of the continuous protoplasmic exchange of the universe,
it depends on seeing death as something unnatural and not the natural fate
of all compound entities, and it depends on attachment, the attachment one
has to that friend. At some level all these are illusion and impediments to
enlightenment, and we can easily find confirmation of this in a number of
Zen writings. If one really experiences oneself as being the entirety of
reality rather than a separate being, then there can be no attachment to a
separate being that does not actually exist.

On the other hand we can complete the circle and recognize our biological
being trapped in human form as a creature that naturally forms social bonds
and feels sadness at the loss of friends. In other words we can experience
that happening as part of reality without seeing the world through that
sadness. We experience the sadness, but we don't see reality through that
sadness, we see the sadness as part of reality. So basically it depends on
who the 'I' is, and where it positions itself relative to thoughts and
emotions. Inside them looking out is not enlightenment.

Now I realize there is some contradiction here, but contradiction is part of