Hello Anthony,

I think I react to pain the way most people do, I don't like it! I try
to avoid it! No one can avoid suffering. I am terrified of death! No
one can avoid death. Why put a lot of energy into something that can't
be stopped?

For me the way to react to suffering is to do what we can to relieve
it, the thing to do for the dying is comfort them as much as possible.

>From R.H.Blythe:
One day Joshu fell down in the snow and called out "Help me up! Help
me up!" A monk came and lay down beside him. Joshu got up and went away.

"We cannot help other people in the things that really matter. We can
only show and act on our fellow-feeling. Jesus cannot take us to
heaven. We have to go with our own wings. This is not mere self-power,
but a condition where other-power and self-power are one and the same
thing, so strictly speaking we cannot say that Jesus does not lift us
up or that we lift ourselves up by our own faith. We can only go up,
or not. But - and this is the point of the story - we must show our
awareness of the rising or not rising of others. That is our
humanity." end quote

Margie (roloro1557)

--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Wu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I would like to come back to Al's profound question. The thread he
started is getting long and branching out. Can you simply say 'this is
it?' How do you react to pain? A famous zen master Daisetsu Suzuki
went through a lot of suffering in his last days. I am scared to think
about that. If he cannot avoid suffering, how can I? How about you
all? Are you sure you will leave this world peacefully?