Hello Anthony, I think I react to pain the way most people do, I don't like it! I try to avoid it! No one can avoid suffering. I am terrified of death! No one can avoid death. Why put a lot of energy into something that can't be stopped?
For me the way to react to suffering is to do what we can to relieve it, the thing to do for the dying is comfort them as much as possible. >From R.H.Blythe: One day Joshu fell down in the snow and called out "Help me up! Help me up!" A monk came and lay down beside him. Joshu got up and went away. "We cannot help other people in the things that really matter. We can only show and act on our fellow-feeling. Jesus cannot take us to heaven. We have to go with our own wings. This is not mere self-power, but a condition where other-power and self-power are one and the same thing, so strictly speaking we cannot say that Jesus does not lift us up or that we lift ourselves up by our own faith. We can only go up, or not. But - and this is the point of the story - we must show our awareness of the rising or not rising of others. That is our humanity." end quote Margie (roloro1557) --- In [email protected], Anthony Wu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > > I would like to come back to Al's profound question. The thread he started is getting long and branching out. Can you simply say 'this is it?' How do you react to pain? A famous zen master Daisetsu Suzuki went through a lot of suffering in his last days. I am scared to think about that. If he cannot avoid suffering, how can I? How about you all? Are you sure you will leave this world peacefully? > > Regards, > Anthony ------------------------------------ Current Book Discussion: any Zen book that you recently have read or are reading! Talk about it today!Yahoo! Groups Links <*> To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zen_Forum/ <*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional <*> To change settings online go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zen_Forum/join (Yahoo! ID required) <*> To change settings via email: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
