--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Wu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
' How do you react to pain? A famous zen master Daisetsu Suzuki went
through a lot of suffering in his last days. I am scared to think
about that. If he cannot avoid suffering, how can I? How about you
all? Are you sure you will leave this world peacefully?
> Regards,
> Anthony

Dear Anthony;

Suffering is part of our human condition.  But its opposite pair is
also part of human condition.  It is all a matter of accepting life
as it is in the present moment.  Acceptance does not mean being
passive but to put the mind in that kind of peaceful state of mind
which comes through acknowledging first what is going on within us.

I like the way Thich Nhat Hanh calls suffering as the garbage and
love as the flower in us.  Suffering then should be used as the
garbage to make grow the beuty in us. By continuosly facing and
transforming suffering in us as a source of peace and liberation,
much fears seem to decrease its importance.

However, I share with you the fear of death in its process.  It
frighten me not leave my body in peace. It doesn't worries me what
comes after but the process of death, the suffering and pain in the
body and the leaving of the body.  I suppose that the best way to
release a little of that fear if to practice Compassion peace at each
moment of our present moment.

Have a good Sunday