DP,

If I may share Chan perspective on these subjects...

Chan is a pure internal spiritual journey. Because it is pure internal, it is difficult to truthfully be described by words. Thus it is taught without words or formality.

Religion is an external display of the internal spirit. It is a "form" which Chan does not get involved with.

All arguments are "forms" containing only impermanent and relative value.

Detach from all forms is the beginning of Chan practice.

:-)

http://chanjmjm.blogspot.com
http://www.heartchan.org