From: mike brown <uerusub...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [Zen] Note
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Date: Wednesday, 6 October, 2010, 22:39

Mayka,

Fair enough. I've been pretty quiet on the forum recently, but felt I had to
respond to DP's assertion that atheists were "gloating" over scoring higher in
a questionaire on religion. As an atheist myself I couldn't let that pass. My
fundamentalist, but to DP's credit he is much more reasonable, intelligent and
moderate than that (my apologys to DP for the assumption). To take the matter
back to things Zen. I don't put Zen in the same category as religion, in the
sense of the monotheitic traditions, because Zen doesn't rely on words or
scripture and the outwardly ceremonial aspects can easily be dismissed (they're
just representative of a cultural overlay, anyway). I think there's a huge
difference between Jesus' exhortation to "Follow me (or else)" and Buddha's "Ba
a lamp unto yourself". I'm much more in the Sam Harris camp (an atheist and a
scientist) than the
 Dawkins/Hitchens camp. Harris sees the danger of religion mixing with
politics, but doesn't dismiss the mystical/'spiritual' aspect of human
experience, although he does dimiss the religious overlay that is usually put
onto these experiences (in other words, peak/transcendant experiences occur in
all cultures and is a universal, human experience - not divine). Having had
such an experience myself, I can't dismiss them as easily as Dawkins et al.
Hope that puts things back on topic : )

Mike