Bill,

Not only has the rational mind (neocortex) to be shut down, but also the
emotional/feeling mind (limbic system) which is ever busy distorting
experiences.

> Siska,
>
> I purposefully did not jump right in and answer your question about
Buddha. I knew there'd be plenty of others who would respond to that.
But, your comments in the attached post prompt me to respond.

> Buddha does mean 'the awakened one' in Sanskrit - at least that's what
I've been told. It's also a title when used in someone's name - like
Siddhartha Gautama Buddha.

> When someone has 'awakened' they are opened up to direct experience.
This is done by shutting down your discriminating, rational mind which
is usually always busy filtering, augmenting, categorizing, judging,
etc... experiences. The 'awakening' part would be akin to someone who
has been living in a dream (samsara, a world of illusions) but has now
awakened.