  From: ED
  To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Tuesday, November 02, 2010 3:20 PM
  Subject: [Zen] Re: FW: Quote from St. Thomas Aquinas

  Bill wrote:

  > [Bill!] I understand 'compassion' to mean 'to be aware of the feelings of
  > others'. Merriam-Webster Online defines it as "sympathetic consciousness of
  > others' distress together with a desire to alleviate it". That definition
  > satisfies me.

  Bill, Bill, Bill,

  The definition is consonant with ones I have seen in Buddhist texts.

  However, questions come to mind (as usual):

  o   Is possessing 'compassion' a badge of merit, or is it a normal and
natural aspect of human nature?

  o   Is not  "sympathetic consciousness of others' distress together with a
desire to alleviate it" none other than a stipulation that a person not possess
genes for autism?

  o  And when we do experience compassion, is it not usually selectively
directed toward persons we feel connected to in some way?

  o  For instance, do we feel compassion for the million-plus war-widows caused
by the US/UK/Australian invasion of Iraq?