Mike,

I honestly don't know the figures.  There are several professional groups I
support which lobby for the proper teaching of Science in schools, here.

I haven't lived in States that are vehemently Bible-Thumping, but in my youth I
have known some people who were, but not for long (did I continue to know
them).  It's hard to keep up a friendship when they attack the Science I
practice and call it "Of the Devil" (funny, that they would think that of a
skinny Astronomer).  I reminded them that there is a line from Psalm 19 which
runs, "The Heavens declare the glory of God".

1 The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his
hands. 2 Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they display
knowledge. 3 There is no speech or language where their voice is not heard. 4
Their voice goes out into all the earth, their words to the ends of the world.
In the heavens he has pitched a tent for the sun, 5 which is like a bridegroom
coming forth from his pavilion, like a champion rejoicing to run his course. 6
It rises at one end of the heavens and makes its circuit to the other; nothing
is hidden from its heat.

Well, so, I travel in circles different from those people, so I don't know who
they are, nor how many.

--Joe