 From:  Joe <desert_woodwor...@yahoo.com>;
To:  <Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com>;
Subject:  [Zen] Re: [evol-psych] The correct statistics: Atheists are not more
intelligent
Sent:  Wed, May 22, 2013 5:38:57 PM

Mike,

Considering how small a deal it is for me, I don't see how it can be much less
consequential elsewhere; but, "Thus have I heard".

It's true that many people in the States are too-literal interpreters of "The
Book".  It's shocking to me.  Even my family -- and me, once -- as Catholics,
were not literal interpreters, and neither were our Clergy.

I think the nut-jobs are in the Protestant wing of the faith, because they
choose to think independently and to protest against orthodoxy and authority,
and so of course are FREE -- and have been free for centuries -- to come up
with all sorts of wild interpretations, and entirely new Churches, and
experimental lifestyles ...including the use of poisonous snakes in services,
and a belief in Bishop Usher's cosmology and age of the Earth.  You wouldn't
find that stuff in our old Italian-American conservative parish!

Keep in mind, too, Mike, that America was settled, and her Laws written, by
immigrants who sought religious freedom, and not necessarily freedom from
religion (say, the freedom to be atheists).  So the profusion of "religious"
drama in USA is woven into the territory.

Personally I'd like to see Darwin on any US currency, front or back.  I note
that Darwin has not ever appeared even on a US postage stamp!

Richard Wagner was never so honored here, yet, either: and TODAY is Wagner's
200th birthday, by the way (May 22).

(Honus Wagner, a baseball player, was honored with a 33-cent stamp, issued in
the year 2000).

I reserve comment.

--Joe