Interesting. We must have different setups with our PERCs. Mine have always auto rebuilt.

--
Scott Meilicke

On Oct 22, 2009, at 6:14 AM, "Edward Ned Harvey" <sola...@nedharvey.com> wrote:

Replacing failed disks is easy when PERC is doing the RAID. Just remove the failed drive and replace with a good one, and the PERC will rebuild
automatically.

Sorry, not correct. When you replace a failed drive, the perc card doesn't
know for certain that the new drive you're adding is meant to be a
replacement. For all it knows, you could coincidentally be adding new disks for a new VirtualDevice which already contains data, during the failure state of some other device. So it will not automatically resilver (which would be a permanently destructive process, applied to a disk which is not
*certainly* meant for destruction).

You have to open the perc config interface, tell it this disk is a
replacement for the old disk (probably you're just saying "This disk is the new global hotspare") or else the new disk will sit there like a bump on a
log.  Doing nothing.

We value your opinion! How may we serve you better? Please click the survey link to tell us how we are doing:
http://www.craneae.com/ContactUs/VoiceofCustomer.aspx
Your feedback is of the utmost importance to us. Thank you for your time.
Crane Aerospace & Electronics Confidentiality Statement:
The information contained in this email message may be privileged and is confidential information intended only for the use of the recipient, or any employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient. Any unauthorized use, distribution or copying of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy the original message and all attachments from your electronic files.