On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 4:43 AM, Stu Whitefish <swhitef...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > It seems that obtaining an Oracle support contract or a contract renewal
> is equally frustrating.
>
> I don't have any axe to grind with Oracle. I'm new to the Solaris thing and
> wanted to see if it was for me.
>
> If I was using this box to make money then sure I wouldn't have any problem
> paying for support. I don't expect
> handouts and I don't mind paying.
>
> I trusted ZFS because I heard it's for enterprise use and now I have 200G
> of data offline and not a peep from Oracle.
> Looking on the net I found another guy who had the same exact failure.
>
> To my way of thinking somebody needs to standup and get this fixed for us
> and make sure it doesn't happen to anybody
> else. If that happens I have no grudge against Oracle or Solaris. If it
> doesn't that's a pretty sour experience for someone
> to go through and it will definitely make me look at this whole thing in
> another light.
>
> I still believe somebody over there will do the right thing. I don't
> believe Oracle needs to hold people's data hostage to make money.
> I am sure they have enough good products and services to make money
> honestly.
>
> Jim

You digitally signed a license agreement stating the following:
*No Technical Support*
Our technical support organization will not provide technical support, phone
support, or updates to you for the Programs licensed under this agreement.

To turn around and keep repeating that they're "holding your data hostage"
is disingenuous at best.  Nobody is holding your data hostage.  You
voluntarily put it on an operating system that explicitly states doesn't
offer support from the parent company.  Nobody from Oracle is going to show
up with a patch for you on this mailing list because none of the Oracle
employees want to lose their job and subsequently be subjected to a
lawsuit.  If that's what you're planning on waiting for, I'd suggest you
take a new approach.

Sorry to be a downer, but that's reality.

--Tim