lmulc...@marinsoftware.com said:
> . . .
> The MySQL server is:
> Dell R710 / 80G Memory with two daisy chained MD1220 disk arrays - 22 Disks
> each - 600GB 10k RPM SAS Drives Storage Controller: LSI, Inc. 1068E (JBOD)
>
> I have also seen similar symptoms on systems with MD1000 disk arrays
> containing 2TB 7200RPM SATA drives.
>
> The only thing of note that seems to show up in the /var/adm/messages file on
> this MySQL server is:
>
> Oct 31 18:24:51 mslvstdp02r scsi: [ID 243001 kern.warning] WARNING: /pci@0,0/
> pci8086,3410@9/pci1000,3080@0 (mpt0): Oct 31 18:24:51 mslvstdp02r     mpt
> request inquiry page 0x89 for SATA target:58 failed! Oc
> . . .

Have you got the latest firmware on your LSI 1068E HBA's?  These have been
known to have lockups/timeouts when used with SAS expanders (disk enclosures)
with incompatible firmware revisions, and/or with older mpt drivers.

The MD1220 is a 6Gbit/sec device.  You may be better off with a matching
HBA  -- Dell has certainly told us the MD1200-series is not intended for
use with the 3Gbit/sec HBA's.  We're doing fine with the LSI SAS 9200-8e,
for example, when connecting to Dell MD1200's with the 2TB "nearline SAS"
disk drives.

Last, are you sure it's memory-related?  You might keep an eye on "arcstat.pl"
output and see what the ARC sizes look like just prior to lockup.  Also,
maybe you can look up instructions on how to force a crash dump when the
system hangs -- one of the experts around here could tell a lot from a
crash dump file.

Regards,

Marion