On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 4:38 AM, Bob Doolittle <bob.doolit...@oracle.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had a single-disk zpool (export) and was given two new disks for expanded
> storage. All three disks are identically sized, no slices/partitions. My
> goal is to create a raidz1 configuration of the three disks, containing the
> data in the original zpool.
>
> However, I got off on the wrong foot by doing a "zpool add" of the first
> disk. Apparently this has simply increased my storage without creating a
> raidz config.

IIRC you can't convert a single-disk (or striped) pool to raidz. You
can  only convert it to mirror. So even your intended approach (you
wanted to try "zpool attach"?) was not appropriate.

> Unfortunately, there appears to be no simple way to just remove that disk
> now and do a proper raidz create of the other two. Nor am I clear on how
> import/export works and whether that's a good way to copy content from one
> zpool to another on a single host.
>
> Can somebody guide me? What's the easiest way out of this mess, so that I
> can move from what is now a simple two-disk zpool (less than 50% full) to a
> three-disk raidz configuration, starting with one unused disk?

- use the one new disk to create a temporary pool
- copy the data ("zfs snapshot -r" + "zfs send -R | zfs receive")
- destroy old pool
- create a three-disk raidz pool using two disks and a fake device,
something like http://www.dev-eth0.de/creating-raidz-with-missing-device/
- destroy the temporary pool
- replace the fake device with now-free disk
- export the new pool
- import the new pool and rename it in the process: "zpool import
temp_pool_name old_pool_name"

> In the end I
> want the three-disk raidz to have the same name (and mount point) as the
> original zpool. There must be an easy way to do this.

Nope.

--
Fajar