> In theory, instead of this missing
> disk approach I could create a two-disk raidz pool and later add the
> third disk to it, right?

No, you can't add a 3rd disk to an existing RAIDZ vdev of two disks.
You would want to add another 2 disk RAIDZ vdev.

See Example 4-2 in this section:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E23823_01/html/819-5461/gayrd.html#gazgw

Adding Disks to a RAID-Z Configuration

This section describes what you can and can't do with RAID-Z pools:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E23823_01/html/819-5461/gaypw.html#gcvjg

cs