I wish you nothing but the best. I still totally disagree. ;)

The controllers usually aren't the fail point. But distributing is always
better. I do it so one side of a mirror is on card A and the other on B as an
example.  I still run quite a few legacy controllers as sata2 is more than fast
enough for many things but they are all connected to some form of Thunderbolt
device now. My overall structure is similar to big storage companies in that I
lay everything out with each component as a modular part so I can swap
something new in easily. I stay away from anything with a backplane though!

Currently on a 8 disk 4 mirrored pairs striped I get 2G/s on sata2 controllers
and sata2 drives attached to Thunderbolt. Very nice. I've done some SSD tests
where I swap the rotating rust and that gets awesome numbers but not really
practical space wise.

Note: everything is consumer grade even the over priced stuff claiming
otherwise.

Do those backups. ;)

--
Jason Belec