Dan R Allen wrote:

> Marc:
> Precisely. You challenged John to show why the Saudi government sent them.
> pointed out that they didn't. I'm happy that you've come around to our way
> of
> thinking ;-)
>
> Dan:
> I knew that they didn't. John had implied that Saudi Arabia had a higher
> level of guilt for the attacks than did Iraq, because 15(17) of the
> terrorist were Saudi, with Saudi Passports. Just because they were Saudi
> citizens does not mean that the Saudi government supported their actions in
> any way. The Iraqi government, on the other hand, does have ties to
> terrorist groups, reportedly had intelligence connections to the specific
> group that carried out the attacks, does pay restitution to the families of
> suicide bombers, and is unwilling to prove that they are not actively
> pursuing WMD.

But most of the money for terrorist activities comes from Saudi Arabia. Not from
the government perhaps (although some does through Ikhwan and similar "fraternal"
and "charitable" organizations, and through direct funding of the PLO's
government bureaucracy) so I don't see your point. Saudi Arabia also pays money
to survivors of "martyrs". Also, you can't prove a negative. The world's largest
producer of WMD is right where you live, Dan. Ever been to Tooele?

> Marc:
> I'm not sure what you mean about "what [I'm] looking for," but very
> generally
> speaking I approve of the German approach. The Saudi government,
> incidentally,
> promised to pull US troops out of Dhahran, but they have yet to. This has
> made
> some fundamentalists furious. Saudi Arabia presents itself not just as a
> nation-state, but as "Guardian of the Two Holy Cities" (of Mecca and
> Medina), so
> it has special meaning to most Moslems.
>
> Dan:
> They probably are not ready for us to leave because of the benefits of
> having us there.

The point is they broke a promise. Why they broke it is immaterial.

"The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and
falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark."

solely; its contents do not necessarily reflect those of the authorís employer,