> The US maintains that the actions against Iraq do
not constitute a war of aggression, but are a defense of family and
freedoms.

Saying it doesn't make it so.  Individuals are free to decide for themselves the
justice of a particular action.  If an American member feels that the government is
not right to pursue war with Iraq, he is free to not be a soldier.  In that way he can
still support the notion of his government while not supporting the war.  He can then
vigorously speak out against his government's actions.  If he chooses to be a soldier
then he has to fight even if he disagrees with the policy.

As a side note, my extremely limited experience shows that most soldiers don't think
about whether a war is just or not.  They oppose war because it takes them away from
loved ones, is generally an unpleasant experience and they know they could be maimed
or killed.  No theory, just self-concern.

>John is convinced that a secret combination involving the Trilateral
Commission and the Council on Foreign Relations has taken over the US
government and coopted its power for their own purposes.

I'm not sure specifically who makes up the conspiracy, but are you of the opinion that
one does not exist?  Have you forgotten what list this is? ;-)

> Marc is equally
convinced that the US government is corrupt and seeks only for its own
good, regardless of the needs of the rest of the world.

And you are saying that this is not so?  Admittedly, it does depend on what you define
as "the goverment".

>Rather, I am defending Elder Nelson's comments against being co-opted by
others as an endorsement of their political opinions.

I agree with you.  Let's carefully understand what he said and not twist it to fit any
pet viewpoints.  Let's do that with all the talks.  We want to understand and follow
what they actually said, not what we wished to hear.

=========  Mark Gregson  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  =========

Download the FREE Opera browser at www.opera.com/download/

Free OperaMail at http://www.operamail.com/