Stephen Beecroft wrote:

> -Stephen-
> > The US maintains that the actions against Iraq do not constitute
> > a war of aggression, but are a defense of family and freedoms.
>
> -Mark-
> > Saying it doesn't make it so.
>
> That's beside the point, which is that an argument can be made to
> justify the US actions. The US government is not proclaiming a war of
> vengeance or a jihad or anything of the sort. You may think that's what
> they're doing, and you may be right, but it's hardly obvious on the face
> of the matter.

Let me ask you the same question I've been asking others, than. If the criteria
that the U.S. are using were to be applied to other countries in the area, a much
better case could be made for invading Pakistan. Yet instead the US pours
billions into military aid for Pakistan.

Why the difference? When someone sees this difference, is it any wonder that one
asks whether there's more here than meets the eye?

> Yes, I'm saying it is not so. That is, there is certainly corruption in
> the US government, but that is not the only force present. Americans
> have great failings, both domestically and in foreign affairs (though no
> more so than Canadians, or any other nation), but they also have an
> abiding sense of "fairness". Often this leads to interference in matters
> better left untouched, which constitute what Washington (you know, that
> evil invader of Canada, much vilified by all Church leaders since Joseph
> Smith) termed "entangling alliances" and are at least partially
> responsible for the current mess the US finds itself in. Of course,
> there is plenty of self-serving behavior in the US government and its
> policies, but any impartial review of 20th-century history should
> demonstrate that the US does not seek only for its own good, regardless
> of the needs of the rest of the world.

There is nothing here that I have said regarding corrupt governments (actually I
believe I said militaristic; corrupt is a vaguer term) that doesn't also apply to
all Western governments. Specifically in America, none of us has kept to the
contract of Zion recorded in the Book of Ether.

You do have a sense of fairness. So does everyone in every country I've ever been
to. It's what constitutes "fair" that begs the question. Different people put
emphasis on different values and situations.

"The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and
falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark."

solely; its contents do not necessarily reflect those of the authorís employer,