Sorry, you're right -- you wrote "otherwise." But I don't see that it makes any
difference to my ultimate point. In any case, I've admitted that I should have
asked you what you meant before I responded, so you still have a point.

Stephen Beecroft wrote:

> Now, now, Marc. Giving you the last word doesn't mean giving you license
> to misquote and make stuff up. To wit:
>
> > You used the phrase "[here] and elsewhere". It was the
> > "elsewhere" that I was taking objection to.
>
> This is untrue. I did not use the phrase "and elsewhere", as you
> yourself go on to admit:
>
> > Your original: "Much as some, American and otherwise, might
> > find that hard to understand, I think it's tautological."
>
> And it's true. Many, both American and otherwise, find it hard to
> understand that one cannot be a faithful Latter-day Saint and a liberal
> Democrat -- meaning, of course, a supporter of the liberal element of
> the US Democratic Party, as is obvious from context.

Sorry, but it was not obvious to me. Chalk it up either to the ambiguity of human
language, or my own lack of cognitive skills.

> You appear to be a
> shining example of exactly that fact, since you seem not to admit the
> rather obvious truth of the statement (obvious to some of us, at least).
>
> In any case, I made no explicit or implicit claims about word meanings
> "elsewhere" other than the US. Feel free to have the last word, but
> don't use that opportunity to put words in my mouth.

Deal. Thanks for a friendly resolution.

> Stephen

“We do not think that there is an incompatibility between words and deeds; the
worst thing is to rush into action before the consequences have been properly
debated…To think of the future and wait was merely another way of saying one was
a coward; any idea of moderation was just an attempt to disguise one’s unmanly
character; ability to understand a question from all sides meant that one was
totally unfitted for action.” – Pericles about his fellow-Athenians, as quoted by
Thucydides in “The Peloponessian Wars”