I would add a slight twist to this. I think that other religions DO have
saving truths (not ordinances), and they have the ability to bring people
to a higher level of salvation. Now, the LDS Church is the only one with
the fulness of salvation, or exaltation.
If a Muslim, Jew or Hindu brings a person up to a terrestrial lifestyle
from a telestial one, hasn't that person done the work of God? I think
so.
I believe a Jewish temple run on the Mosaic law by Levites would be
acceptable to God on a terrestrial level (doesn't John the Baptist tell
JS and Oliver Cowdery that the Aaronic Priesthood would be with them
until the sons of Levi offer up a sacrifice in righteousness? It could
apply.). The time would eventually come when they would receive the
higher priesthood, and the Jerusalem temple would be converted to perform
the higher ordinances of exaltation.
As we speak, the Jews are gathering the stones to rebuild the temple,
they have a red heifer, etc. We don't use red heifers in our endowment,
last I looked. Clearly, they are looking at performing rituals according
to their level of understanding. And if the LDS Church can help the
Hindus build a temple, why can't we help the Jews build theirs?

K'aya K'ama,
Gerald/gary  Smith    gszion1 @juno.com    http://www
.geocities.com/rameumptom/index.html
"No one is as hopelessly enslaved as the person who thinks he's free."  -
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

JWR:
I would like to bear a second witness to what Paul has said here.  There
is
truth in other faiths.  I agree that other faiths have some truth. In
some
cases a lot of truth.  But there are no _saving_ truths or ordinances in
that practicing those religions will ultimately end in the followers
being
damned.

John W. Redelfs

Only $9.95 per month!