Mark Gregson wrote:

> > I wouldn't suggest this for a beginner, but the best and most up-to-date general
> > actual textbook, meant for university courses, is probably the relatively new,
> > but very long book that Stephen Jay Gould published just before he died, "The
> > Structure of Evolutionary Theory."
>
> John, you should know that many proponents and researchers of evolution disagree
>with Gould.  They consider him a populizer of a small group's point of view.  They
>don't consider him to be mainstream, particularly on his theory of punctuated
>equilibrium.

Actually, contrary to popular misconception he didn't originate the idea, he merely
popularized it. It's now considered fairly mainstream, and part of the "New Synthesis".

> But I hope that you are serious about the challenge of studying the issue of
>evolution if you honestly expect to come to some kind of real understanding.  There
>is so much material to wade through with so many questions about each "fact" that it
>could easily take a lifetime.

This is part of the problem.

> On the other hand, the international space station continues to grow and the
>Internet is so very useful. Some things may be interesting whereas other things are
>useful and actually work.
>
> (Just taking another fun little poke at Marc; it wasn't aimed at you, John).

That's alright. Engineers have their place. Under the sink, with a wrench....

> =========  Mark Gregson  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  =========

“Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick
himself up and continue on” – Winston Churchill

Note: This communication represents the informal personal views of the author solely;
its contents do not necessarily reflect those of the author’s employer, nor those of
any organization with which the author may be associated.