At 06:32 PM 11/8/2002, you wrote:
>Not only that but what about the innocents who would undoubtedly lose
their
>lives in such an attack?

IMO, that's all part of the deal. War is hell but we must fight it to win
at minimal cost to our own side and if nuclear bombs will achieve that
end, I am all for it. Whoever attacks this country should be made to pay
the ultimate price and that will set the example for the rest of the
world and probably deter future wars. Nuclear explosions are merciful
because they vaporize a large part of the enemy quickly and get rid of
the problem right away. Everyone is so worried about the innocents.
THAT'S WAR! The Lord and Joshuah weren't worried about the innocents.
"Slay them ALL"! The object is to win and not take any chances of
loosing. It's dangerous for a bleeding heart liberal to lead troops in a
battle and expect victory. Take that wuss Jimmy Carter for example; Oh
blah! He sent some helicopters into Iran for a rescue and that was a big
fat joke. We should have bombed Iran and set the example back then and
declared the hostages war heros. Then we could have exacted tribute and
filled the coffers of American banks as a further punishment against our
enemies. You mark my words--Iran is going to be a real problem for us in
the not so distant future. We Americans will pay for our failure to bomb
them properly as we should have done.

Paul O
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Very interesting, your approval of total warfare. I take it you also approved of the firebombing of Dresden, a non-important city strategically, where over 250,000 people, men, woman and children, including wounded who had been gathered there, lost their lives in two days?

Prior to the Civil War noncombatants were traditionally and legally by the laws of nations left alone. The concept of total war (targeting civilians as well as combatants) had its roots in the Civil War (when war would be poured out upon all nations) beginning with General Sherman's march to the sea.

At least one First Presidency member and noted Constitutional scholar, J. Reuben Clark has condemned total warfare. President Clark criticized the bombing of Dresden and other cities, even including Hiroshima and Nagasaki as unnecessary and barbaric. He stated on one occasion:

<Quote>
"Is it not time in the world for a curb to be placed upon the narrow, fiendish concepts of militarists, and their evil lusts and passions by which they are constantly driven to plan and carry out ever increasing woe, misery, destruction, and slaughter of the aged, the infirm, the sick, the crippled? There are elements of good that must control the base in men, even in war. How long will their ears be deaf to the cries of the Christian conscience of the world, and to their own better instincts as men? How long will they challenge the eternal principle voiced by the Master two millenniums ago: 'With what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again?' And again: 'Put up again thy sword into his place; for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword." (J. Reuben Clark, Conference Report, October 1946, Afternoon Meeting)
</Quote>

In addition he also criticized the United States for their role in perpetuating total war thusly:

<Quote>
Thus we in America are now deliberately searching out and developing the most savage, murderous means of exterminating peoples that Satan can plant in our minds. We do it not only shamelessly, but with a boast. God will not forgive us for this.
If we are to avoid extermination, if the world is not to be wiped out, we must find some way to curb the fiendish ingenuity of men who have apparently no fear of God, man, or the devil, and who are willing to plot and plan and invent instrumentalities that will wipe out all the flesh of the earth. And, as one American citizen of one hundred thirty millions, as one in one billion population of the world, I protest with all of the energy I possess against this fiendish activity, and as an American citizen, I call upon our government and its agencies to see that these unholy experimentations are stopped, and that somehow we get into the minds of our war-minded general staff and its satellites, and into the general staffs of all the world, a proper respect for human life.
(President J. Reuben Clark, Jr., Conference Report, October 1946, Afternoon Meeting 89.)
</Quote>

--
Steven Montgomery
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Nations are defined by their founders. George Washington set a standard of
selfless public service and heroic private virtue against which American
politicians continue to be measured - and found wanting - even today." --Steven W. Mosher
/// ZION LIST CHARTER: Please read it at ///
/// http://www.zionsbest.com/charter.html ///