Actually, no. We had a treaty, signed by Congress, stating we would
defend Korea from any invasions. Congress also ratified our working with
the UN on fighting the war. So, it was done under the okay of our
Constitution. You see, the Constitution doesn't say we have to declare
war, it only says that it is Congress' duty to declare war.

Would you say that the Nephites and Capt Moroni should then have trudged
into Lamanite territory and totally obliterated the enemy? Or was their
defensive war a villanous thing to do? This sounds totally opposite what
you have been saying concerning the possible upcoming war with Iraq. We
just see it differently. Different enemies require different treatments.
Some can be persuaded with diplomacy, some with a little muscle and
containment, while others require full out offensive.

If it were just us against the North Koreans, I can see your point. But
as Jesus told us that the wise man counts his pennies before building the
house, we had to determine just what level of interdiction we were
willing to make in Korea. Given that the Soviets would have jumped in on
the war if we were to have invaded China, we were looking at nuclear
holocaust. Truman wasn't willing to go that far, and I thank him for it.

K'aya K'ama,
Gerald/gary  Smith    gszion1 @juno.com    http://www
.geocities.com/rameumptom/index.html
"No one is as hopelessly enslaved as the person who thinks he's free."  -
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

JWR:
Unless the order is illegal.  And Truman's orders were clearly illegal by

any constitutional standards.  The whole war was unconstitutional.
And that is the whole problem.  Nations have no business going to war
with
a "limited plan."  Do you think that either the North Koreans or China
had
a "limited plan?"  Talking about a "limited plan" is talking about
pulling
your punches.  And in any fight, pulling your punches is  the road to
defeat such as we suffered in Vietnam.

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com