On Saturday, November 30, 2002, at 09:44 PM, Jim Cobabe wrote:

Saturday, November 30, 2002

BY PATTY HENETZ
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

A graduate student at the University of Washington says he likely
will be excommunicated next week for articles he has written questioning
the validity of the Book of Mormon.
Good riddance.

Once more the Signaturi raise their fetid little heads. This time they are trying to use hard "science" to discredit the Book of Mormon. Sigh...

I've actually read this guy's paper. It's sad he doesn't use his brain for better purposes.

Let's see what we do and don't know about the Nephites and Lamanites:

1: They were technically not "Jews", i.e. they were not of the tribe of Judah. I know the tribes inter-married, but it's hard to compare apples and oranges. This fact is conveniently missing from the paper.

2: They were relatively small in number for many years, and grew at an amazing rate. Jaradite names became very common in their culture (look at what Alma named his sons), and their weights and measures system may have also been derived from the Jaradites (look at what their weights and measures were named, and cross-reference the book of Ether. It's interesting.) In my opinion, they probably inter-married with the peoples that were already here. Making assumptions about their genetic makeup is just plain stupid.

3: We don't know where they lived. Many people believe Mezo-America, others believe upstate New York. Still others believe South America. I hold one of these theories personally, but it doesn't matter a bit. Assuming the Lamanites to be the ancestors of today's American Indians is foolish, given what we don't know. It's hard to find good data if you don't know where to look.

There are several other questions that could be raised about his assumptions, but let's look at other things the publicity hound here is ignoring:

1: 11 witnesses saw the plates from which the Book of Mormon was translated. Three of them had a personal visitation from an angel, and heard the voice of God declaring that everything was on the up and up. All of the three died professing their testimonies, and none of the 11 ever denied what they had seen.

2: The Book of Mormon bears the hallmarks of an ancient book. Go read the FARMS web site for more details.

3: Millions of people around the world have read the book, and have received powerful witnesses from God as to its divinity. I am one of them.

Beware of the latest scientific theory. We don't know everything about genetics and DNA. We do know that the Signaturi are evil people that are hell-bent to destroy the church. They are not objective investigators. They have many times bent, twisted, or invented evidence to suit their own needs. One needs look no further than their patron saint, Mark Hoffman, for examples of their methods.

This paper will be thoroughly discredited within the next few years. I pray for those who propagate and believe this stuff.

Harold Stuart

/// ZION LIST CHARTER: Please read it at ///
/// http://www.zionsbest.com/charter.html ///