At 07:14 PM 7/30/2003, you wrote:
Steven Montgomery:

Mars brightness by the end of August would certainly seem
to me to qualify as a "wonder in heaven." What would give
this idea more significance and credibility is if August 27th
happened to be a significant date in Jewish or Mormon
history.

_______________

I don't know about Jewish history, but I happen to have a
little ditty called _On This Day in the Church_, put together
by a quartet of Y professors, which provides the following.

<snipped a list of seemingly unimportant or minor events in Church history>

Apparently your quartet of professors missed Section 63 of the Doctrine & Covenants. In this revelation, given August 27th 1831, the Lord, through the Prophet Joseph Smith warns that a "day of wrath" shall come upon the wicked and then mentions, starting with verse 7 and ending with verse 12, something interesting:

And he that seeketh signs shall see signs, but not unto salvation.
Verily, I say unto you, there are those among you who seek signs, and there have been such even from the beginning;
But, behold, faith cometh not by signs, but signs follow those that believe.
Yea, signs come by faith, not by the will of men, nor as they please, but by the will of God.
Yea, signs come by faith, unto mighty works, for without faith no man pleaseth God; and with whom God is angry he is not well pleased; wherefore, unto such he showeth no signs, only in wrath unto their condemnation.
Wherefore, I, the Lord, am not pleased with those among you who have sought after signs and wonders for faith, and not for the good of men unto my glory.

Maybe its just coincidence or happenstance that Mars will shine brightest on the very date that Section 63 of the Doctrine & Covenants was given to the world. But then again, maybe not.

Its certainly out of my jurisdiction to proclaim that there is a connection--I just find it interesting. Very Interesting.

-- Steven Montgomery [EMAIL PROTECTED]

It is no accident, then, that so many who gathered at Philadelphia to declare independence and a decade later to draft a constitution were men who had apprenticed themselves to Thucydides, Plato, Aristotle, Polybius, and Cicero, and who could debate at length on the various constitutional forms of the classical world before they chose one for the new American nation. We owe our very existence as a people in great part to classical learning.----T. L. Simmons