-Ron-
> God's love is unconditional, according to Hinckley (many sources).

What are some of those sources?

For some reason, this topic generates a great deal of emotion in people
on both sides of the issue.  I fail to understand why, even in myself,
such emotions arise.  The quality of God's love does not depend upon
whether I understand it correctly or not.  So what's at stake?  Will the
answer make God love me more or less?  Clearly, the existence of reality
does not depend on my perception of it.

It seems to me that the scriptures are quite clear and consistent in
teaching that God's love is indeed conditional.  Nowhere in scripture do
I find indication that God's love is "unconditional".  Many places in
scripture do I find indications that God's love is quite conditional.
If this is a difficult doctrine for some to accept and understand, does
that make it any less true or profound?

Let us suppose for a moment that Ron's distinction is correct; that is,
God's love for us is unconditional, but his blessings to us are not.
What, then, constitutes "God's love" for us?  Does it mean how fondly he
thinks of us when we pray to him?  How much his pulse rate increases
when we grow or diminish?  I can't think of any clear meaning for the
phrase "God's love" in such a case.

In fact, I submit that stating that "God's love" is "unconditional"
makes the phrase itself meaningless.  So God loves me just like he loves
Jesus Christ and Satan, and he continues loving me in the exact same
manner whether I strive toward exaltation or greedily fall into
depravity?  In that case, who cares about God's love?  It's a constant,
like gravity.  We may be thankful for it in some academic or theoretical
sense, but it has absolutely no applicability to us in everyday things.
So if I believe God's love to be "unconditional", I must also believe it
to be pretty much irrelevant to my life -- in which case, why would I
care if someone states that God's love is conditional?  Since it doesn't
affect me anyway, what's the problem?

> As I said, you getting the two concepts mixed up.  You're making
> synoymns of "unconditional love" and "divine blessings."

Then I suggest the scriptures also "mix up" these two concepts, because
divine blessings are consistently represented as an indication of God's
love, while divine cursings or divine deafness evidences God's
disinclination toward or hatred of a people.

Stephen