I think Elder Nelson was defining "unconditional love" as a kind of love
where God would love all of us so very much that he would forgive
everyone, regardless of what we've done or whether we had repented or
not. Using that definition, he is correct that there is no such thing as
'unconditional love.'  However, his definition of 'divine love' is what
many here have used as their definition of 'unconditional love', that is,
that God loves all his children regardless of what they do, but he favors
those who follow Him.  I think he is trying to clarify the issue by
giving us a better term to use, one that has less risk of
misinterpretation. "unconditional love" can mean different things to
people, while 'divine love' is more explicit and has less connotation of
a God that loves so much that he just forgets about justice and goodness.

K'aya K'ama,

Gerald (Gary) Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.geocities.com/rameumptom/index.html         LDS Evidences,
Family History, Food Storage, etc.

-Geoff-
> Great post! According to the prophets, then it appears that there
> are actually two types of love:
> 1. Divine love
> 2. Unconditional love
> They are not one and the same. However, it is true that our
> Heavenly Father has and exercises both, and that we are
> commanded to do likewise. Would you agree?
 Stephen:
Not quite, I don't think. While it is true that "God is love", it is not
true that "Love is God". That is, "love" is not an overriding or
ultimate principle wherein everything and everyone is loved. I believe
that "unconditional love" is nothing more than a linguistic construct. I
think it's false as a concept, nonexistent, nonsensical, without
meaning, just like "sinful God" or "miserable exaltation" are
nonsensical and meaningless.