Ron Scott wrote:
There is a current piece in Ensign that confuses "unconditional love" and
"blessing."  Actually, I think the current piece confuses grace/faith/works.
God's love is unconditional, according to Hinckley (many sources).  But, the
blessing/rewards are very conditional up faithfulness.

Ron, I searched the Church website and found 115 hits on "unconditional love" in General Conference, but they came from Maxwell, Ashton, Faust, Ballard, Nelson himself, and others but not one came from President Hinckley. Could you direct me to one of these "many sources" you speak of? My survey doesn't really prove anything because it was cursory. But I would be interested in learning how President Hinckley thinks of "unconditional love."

Actually, I think this discussion is a tempest in a teapot. Nobody doubts that God loves each of his children more and more perfectly than any mortal creature could, even more than a mother loves her newborn baby. I think you may have hit the nail on the head when you suggested that it is God's "blessings" that are conditional.

However, it might be useful to think of God's love as conditional inasmuch as the blessings most definitely are, and Elder Nelson makes a good point when he suggests that the phrase "unconditional love" might confuse some people into supposing that they can have the blessings without the repentance. And that simply is not true doctrine.

John W. Redelfs [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"The study of the doctrines of the Gospel will improve
behavior quicker than a study of behavior will improve
behavior." --Boyd K. Packer