At 10:17 AM 11/5/2003, you wrote:
At 04:50 PM 11/5/2003 +0000, Gary wrote:

What is important is that we don't twist that love as did Nehor and as do many today, to excuse their sinful natures.

Has anyone taken the time and energy to look at the Anti-Christs in the Book of Mormon, such as Nehors, Korihor and company, to see how their "philosophies" play out in today's society? Since there's nothing new under the sun, I suspect that all of these abominations appear today, probably rather thinly cloaked, in the hype of today's "cool" thinking.

President Benson thought so. For instance, in his famous talk (Which he gave over 37 different times. Not only in General Conference but to Regional Conferences, Regional Representatives Seminars, reprinted as the 1st Presidency Message in the Ensign, and in various wards he visited) entitled, "The Book of Mormon is the Word of God," he stated that the second major purpose of the Book of Mormon was to expose, "the enemies of Christ. It confounds false doctrines and lays down contention. (See 2 Nephi 3:12.) It fortifies the humble followers of Christ against the evil designs, strategies, and doctrines of the devil in our day. The type of apostates in the Book of Mormon are similar to the type we have today. God, with his infinite foreknowledge, so molded the Book of Mormon that we might see the error and know how to combat false educational, political, religious, and philosophical concepts of our time."

I, for one, cannot read Alma chapter 30 without coming to the same conclusion that President Benson did. Korihor was exhibiting many of the philosophies we here about today. Such as atheism, secular humanism, and survival of the fittest.

--
Steven Montgomery
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

". . . in the future the opposition from Satan will be both more subtle and more open. While in some ways it may be more blatant, it will be masked with greater sophistication and cunning. We will need greater spirituality to perceive all the forms of evil and greater strength to resist it." (President James E. Faust, CR, April 2003)